Friday, December 4, 2009

NA: STATEMENT FOR SHOW OPENER




Explain hierarchy of and relationships between the communication channels. what takes priority, if anything, and when does it do so?

My three communication channels are image, music, and text. I designed the show opener to where the viewer is on an adventure through the bowling alley viewing areas such as the outside sign, a close up of the lanes and pins, the computer mechanism that keeps score, and finally ending on a series of three different bowling balls on a rack. Throughout the show opener, the music has a secondary presence and the type is presented only at certain moments displaying the bulk of the show, starring, and the title.


Why you used the media/production techniques you utilized. what did that rendering style or formal approach adds to your story?

I have to say I was a little lucky when I went to shoot my footage, that I got a semi empty bowling alley. I knew I didn't really want many people in it, where that might get distracting for the viewer. My previous knowledge of this specific bowling alley is that there is a lot of elderly throughout the day that bowl, and since my show opener is about younger kids, I don't think that would have worked out well. So I like that it's pretty empty and basic. The bare necessities. Giving the still images movement through stop motion was the route I chose for rendering. For one, I have yet to build a stop motion piece before this project, and they always draw my attention. I like the look of stop motion pieces and have a great deal of respect for those who pull it off smoothly. I think it added a sense of playfulness to my piece and adventure. The idea of 3 kids who are amazing bowlers, growing up in a small town, and their stories on how they became so good.


What, if any, new things did you learn through this process? was it more difficult to orchestrate things with all your options open?

Well as I explained earlier, I have a great deal of respect for those who pull of stop motion well. I like the chaotic stop motion movies, but also the smooth stop motion pieces that seem like regular video. It's an amazing approach, and I definitely want to work more with it. I learned that it's a very tough process to cut some of your movie to fit the 30 sec. time frame and still somehow get a message across. I would have to say within this project, it was difficult to orchestrate everything in a shorter time frame than the other projects. I think it made me realize what was possible, and what approaches should be used for another time where I have more time to spare. Throughout researching I found a couple show openers that were not even long at all. For example, "Glee" is a 1 second frame with white type on a black background and a group of people shouting "Glee!". After the title sequence was played, the titles were spread throughout the first few minutes of the show. Quite a bit of shows these days have the same approach. I believe "Heroes" has an expressive title and the extra titles are spread throughout the first few minutes also. I would have liked to try an approach like that.

2 comments:

  1. Lance- great ending, don't make it red outlines though. The Starring page needs to stay on longer
    nice choice of music

    the L 3 young kids reads like that because of your hierarchy- watch that., there is also a semi awkward chop back and forth there. Later in the animation the choppy works better

    cut the shots with the doors where you're reflected in them. Not needed and distracting

    cut out maybe any other shots with people- they aren't the stars of your show.

    Maybe edit out the Ward Parkway in your shots

    I love the text on your last page. Very nice. I like it a lot, just not the outline like I already mentioned
    _________________________________________
    -the music helps to set the mood and really reflects the documentary-style show you've chosen to portray. Your text really needs to be looked at, hierarchy gets a little lost. The text on the monitor is really easily lost. Great idea, keep it up longer, be proud of it!

    -The photo stills work really well as your rendering style but you could definitely lose some of the scenes you have in there right now, like the doors (with your reflection). I'm glad you did a bit of an abstraction of bowling- no shoes or ball, just the bare essence.

    The whole thing seems fun and playful. Let that last note on your music track play out. The choppy scenes of the bowling lane- maybe cut it to two shots... it's like lane, shift, lane, shift, lane, shift, lane... gets a bit motion sickness with it's length.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the concept of it. I think old bowling alley and friends playing together is a really good concept that I could really be good and an actual show.

    At the beginning, your zooming in and out of the type, so in one I can see the car and in the next I can't and then the car comes back again, so maybe some consistency with that.

    The next is that with photographing the door, we can see you. Its distracting. People would be wondering, who is that guy. Maybe if the characters were in it, that wouldn't be bad, but you in it doesn't work if there are suppose to be 3 of you.

    One random guy in the bowling alley is cool. Makes it out to be these 3 character's hangout and nobody else, in a way reinforcing the closeness of friendship.

    I like the quickness and blurs of the thing waxing the floors, behind the scenes in a way. Like these 3 people go there all the time and can come in while they are waxing the floor.

    I love that the characters are the names on the scorecard, that was an awesome idea and i saw it right off.

    Maybe ward parkway bowling alley sign can go away....? It's distractiing, but maybe there would be a name there.... maybe just not have that in focus.

    I love the 3 balls in the end, being different and everything. Like those always go there cuzz they are theirs. Maybe if the title is 3 to spare then the spare symbol is integrated a little bitt more....?

    ReplyDelete