Monday, February 22, 2010

TYPE EXPERIMENTATION UPDATE

First off, this weekend I saw the movie Shutter Island and the most amazing thing happened! THEY SPEAK ABOUT AMBIGRAMS IN THE MOVIE AND USE IT IN THE PLOT!!!!!!!! I don't want to blow the movie anyone interested in seeing it, but there are two characters created within the movie with the same 13 letters and oddly enough, they are the same person. Edward Daniels and Andrew Laeddis. So I thought that was pretty cool...there is also another set they use with a female character, but I cannot remember it haha (the scene was short)


So here we have my continued exploration with "hi". One of my comments from crit last time spoke of "what uses ambigrams have" and I'm honestly still not sure. I mean there are websites dedicated to an ambigram tattoo business and there are a couple logos that are ambigrams, but I'm still not sure if there is one specific use for ambigrams. I think they are just one design solution to many problems. Here, I placed one by the door in the studio this weekend. Students can see it when they leave and when the come in. When they walk in it says "hi" and ...it says "hi" on the way out. One must ask then...why doesn't it say "bye". It would be interesting if this took form of a welcome mat or something such as that.






Alright, so the above photo might be a little of a stretch, but it was a simple enough ambigram in my opinion that I wanted to see what surrounding environment objects I could use to create it.


I dug this above piece of work in some piles from Pikes Peak Community College in Colorado. We had to work with "Type is Art". In a way I guess one can say I have had further interest ever since this exercise...the outcomes are always never known and some forms are more ambiguous than others, but they are fun when you discover the message!


Above is me working with a palindrome. "no melon...no lemon". To help differentiate them a little more I placed them in context to some corresponding colors. In this example I simplified the "n" and had no extended arm at the top; therefore, the "n" would become more versatile when flipped. The "e" was the only letter that was not completely versatile as far as it reading normal front and backwards; however, I think with it placed in context to the other, it
works well.








I took what I made last class with the words "flip" and "flop" and worked with different directional lighting. When the light source was directly level with it, the text became illegible. When I placed the light slightly higher, the readability of the word improved, but when the light source is directly above the artifact, the read is not as successful.

"Bob" was a small little excercise I used with reading the negative form and positive form. With the word "Bob" one can read the black forms as "Bob" or the inner white forms as "Bob". This was a small exploration dealing the the "James Joyce" example I posted in a previous post.

No comments:

Post a Comment