Sunday, October 11, 2009

PICNIC? MORE TENDER BUTTONS

Alright, so below are more pushes with both cover possibilities and then pretty much the format for the inside spreads. I originally had a different pattern, but wanted to find something that I guess was more recognizable but still had a pattern to represent Gertrude's repetitious poetry. I really like the second one, as the letters aren't completely whole, and fall into the white (cream) space, which makes the type and the cover design have a closer, more interactive relationship to each other. After speaking with Kidwell, he suggested to try something with enlarged letterforms. I liked hiding the chaos inside the letterforms of the titles (as I did for every poem), and wanted to repeat and show that on the outside. I'm not sure how successful it is, but I do like the ambiguous form it provides.

As for the spreads: I kept the concept of having the poems read from the title and rise up. (read bottom to top; left to right). I also streamlined the whole book by creating a consistent baseline of 10pts throughout the pages. The pages look more uniform and once started, readers will be able to pick up on exactly "how" to read it and "what" to read first.














No comments:

Post a Comment